Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ilocos Sur: Prologue


Tiring it may seem that coming from a 4pm-1am shift from the office I will be travelling northbound of Luzon but I was really looking forward in meeting my two friends and hit the road with them. 

Filipinos can sleep anywhere
Mau fetched me from the office earlier than the time we agreed.  Unfortunately, she waited for me for almost two hours.  At about three in the morning we already arrived at Partas Terminal where Bien was waiting for us.  It surprised us when we saw that there were so many passengers.  
Waiting for their numbers to be called
Some have already slept on the floor while some were patiently standing, falling in line and anticipating for their numbers to be called. 
Hoping to get a ride as soon as possible








My friends and I tried to be patient until I heard my stomach complaining being hungry.  I grab a cup of noodles and ate it along the roadside where we were seated. I did not really care anymore about what others will say or how much dust and pollution will i be eating too.

While I was eating, it dawned on me that the sun is almost up because it was past the hour of five.  Bien and I started to google locations and  contact numbers of other bus stations and luckily we were able to find one.

Dinakdakan and Pakbet Ilocano
Our bus left at about 6am and we took the chance to get some sleep during the travel.  


After three hours we had our first stop over and ate our breakfast: rice, Pakbet Ilocano and Dinakdakan.  Yes! You read it right! Rice and Viand for breakfast.  This is how we Filipinos usually have our breakfast and it is really a heavy one!

Pakbet or Pinakbet is a dish from the northern part of the Philippines.  It is actually one of the most popular Ilocano dish which is also being served in Manila. It uses bagoong (fermented fish or shrimp and salt)  as one of the main ingredient and various vegetables such as Talong (eggplant), Okra, Ampalaya (bitter melon). (Ilocano - this is how the people are referred to in Ilocos and most of the northern regions of the Philippines).

Dinakdakan is also one authentic Ilocano recipe; grilled pig's part (tounge, ear, liver) blended with the brain which is good to be dipped in vinegar.  This may also be blended with Mayonnaise.

So having this hearty meal, we went back to our bus, waited for it to resume our travel and slept along the way.

Ilocos At last! Our first stop was the hometown of Bien, Tagudin.

Location wise, Tagudin is the first of the 34 municipalities of Ilocos Sur. It is situated right after Amburayan Bridge.  It is connecting Baranggay Bio Tagudin and Baranggay Ipet, Sudipen, La union.

This bridge was inaugurated by former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo during the commemoration of the 113th martyrdom of Dr. Jose Rizal last December 30, 2009 where she lead the national celebration in Ilocos Sur.

Now, where else could this bridge lead us to?  Find out in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment